Introducing Kybella™, a breakthrough for chin fullness!
The dermatology providers at Cascade Eye & Skin Centers, P.C. are pleased to announce the arrival of Kybella™, a breakthrough treatment that has been FDA approved for submental fullness under the chin, commonly referred to as a double chin.
Kybella™, an injectable product, is used to help your body rid itself of fat cells that form under the chin (submental fat). Kybella™ is made of deoxycholic acid, an acid that is naturally produced by the body to absorb fat. When Kybella™ is injected into a cell, it destroys the cell's membrane and causes the cell to die. Therefore, when Kybella™ is injected into the fat cells underneath your chin, the cells die and are absorbed by your body for removal.
Schedule your consultation with one of the skilled providers of Cascade Eye and Skin Centers today, (253) 435-5320.
WHAT IS SUBMENTAL FULLNESS?
• Submental fullness due to submental fat, sometimes referred to as ”double chin,” is a common, yet undertreated facial aesthetic condition. It can detract from an otherwise balanced and harmonious facial appearancei – leading to an older and heavier look.
• Submental fullness can impact a broad range of adults, and is not limited to people who are overweight. This condition can impact men or women of average weight and can be caused by aging, genetics and weight gain. It is often resistant to diet and exercise alone.ii
• According to a 2014 survey by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), over 2/3 of consumers are bothered by submental fullness – nearly as many as those bothered by lines and wrinkles around the eyes.iii
WHAT IS KYBELLA™ (DEOXYCHOLIC ACID) INJECTION?
• KYBELLA™ (deoxycholic acid) injection, also known as ATX-101, is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat.
• KYBELLA™ is indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults. The safe and effective use of KYBELLA™ for the treatment of subcutaneous fat outside the submental region has not been established and is not recommended.
HOW DOES KYBELLA™ WORK?
• KYBELLA™ is a non-human and non-animal formulation of deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.
• When injected into subcutaneous fat, KYBELLA™ causes the destruction of fat cells.iv Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.v After the aesthetic response is achieved, retreatment with KYBELLA™ is not expected. Due to its cytolytic activity, KYBELLA™ should not be injected into or in close proximity to vulnerable anatomic structures.
HOW IS KYBELLA™ ADMINISTERED?
• KYBELLA™ is administered by injections into the fat under the chin.
• Each in-office treatment session is typically 15-20 minutes.
• Treatment with KYBELLA™ is customized by the physician to the patient’s aesthetic goals for an improved chin profile.
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF KYBELLA™ CLINICAL TRIALS?
• KYBELLA™ treatment resulted in high patient satisfaction. 79% of patients treated with KYBELLA™reported satisfaction with the appearance of their face and chin.
• Many patients experienced visible results in two to four treatments. KYBELLA™ treatment resulted in high patient satisfaction.
• In clinical studies, 28%, 43% and 55% of KYBELLA™-treated patients had a ≥1-grade composite improvement after 2, 3 and 4 treatments, respectively.
• Patients also reported improvement in the emotional impact of submental fat when asked how happy, bothered, self-conscious, embarrassed, old and overweight they felt following treatment in relation to the amount of their submental fat.
IS KYBELLA™ SAFE?
• KYBELLA™ has been the focus of a global clinical development program involving over 20 clinical studies with more than 2,600 patients worldwide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with KYBELLA™.
• Production of KYBELLA™ is a highly controlled, quality-assured and validated, current Good Manufacturing Practices-compliant process to ensure patient safety. KYBELLA™ contains no human or animal-derived substances.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS WITH KYBELLA™?
• The safety profile of KYBELLA™ is well characterized. Side effects may include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness or formation of small areas
of firmness. Adverse events with KYBELLA™ infrequently resulted in discontinuation from study (1.6% of participants). Care must be taken when
injecting KYBELLA™ to avoid the risk of marginal mandibular nerve injury and dysphagia