Written by: Tara A. Oetken, MD
Neuromodulators such as Dysport and Botox are derived from the bacteria Clostridium botulinum and are most frequently used as a cosmetic injection to prevent or reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Injections work by blocking nerve signals in the face, weakening specific muscles. Limiting muscle movement allows for the relaxation of wrinkles and fine lines. Patients have no downtime after injection and can return immediately to work or regular activity. Side effects are very minimal including mild discomfort during injection and potential bruising. Results can be seen in 3-5 days with full results at 2 weeks. Results typically last for 3-4 months. However, most patients wonder when they should begin Botox or Dysport to get the most benefit.
When to Begin Botox or Dysport
There is no set age of when to begin neuromodulators, as numerous factors affect the aging process in the skin. Generally, an optimal time to seek treatment is when you begin to notice fine lines at rest. Treating before lines become extremely pronounced allow us to prevent further aging and decrease how much neuromodulator is needed. The most common areas addressed with neuromodulators are:
- Forehead wrinkles: usually among the first area to depict signs of aging
- Crow’s feet: located around the corners of your eyes when you laugh or smile
- Marionette lines: extend from the corners of the mouth towards the jawline
- Frown lines: located between the eyebrows, can make you look tired, upset, or angry
- Smoker’s lines: small lines that appear when you purse your lips
- Neck bands: two long muscles that can sag as you age
- Sagging brows: when the eyebrows droop excessively
Who Should Not Begin Botox or Dysport?
Although FDA-approved for the vast majority of people, certain people should avoid this procedure, including people who:
- Have a neuromuscular disease
- Are pregnant
- Have skin problems near the injection site
Learn More About Botox and Dysport at Cascade Eye & Skin Centers
At Cascade Eye & Skin Centers, we understand the importance of caring for our skin and retaining a youthful and refreshed appearance. If you are interested in learning more about this minimally invasive treatment, talk to one of our cosmetic dermatologists today. Our skilled cosmetic dermatologists can help you determine when to begin neuromodulators and how they can best help you. Make an appointment here today.